hot topic/spencers

Discuss all things ear stretching

by russell » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:35 pm

helllo everyoe this is my first post. so ive been stretching my ear for a month or two. i peirced my left ear with what i think was a six gauge needle. as of right now i'm only stretching one ear. i like the quirkiness of it. what do you guys think about only stretching one ear?
so i bought an eight gauge plug at spencers, then a six, and now im at a four. the plugs i bought were metal ones, the back screws on. my question is this.. ive read alot of posts where people bash on these two stores. i understand that acrylic jewelery isnt the best idea for new stretches, but i dont have a debit or credit card. buying jewelery online isnt really an option for me so i stick to stuff i get at the mall.
overall i think the quality of the jewelry i get is pretty good. i think the brand on the plugs is "body rage" ive been sticking to metal, and stone jewelry. do you guys think this is safe?
Last edited by russell on Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
russell

by russell » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:46 pm

any sort of response would be greatly appreciated :/
russell

by Hardware » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:24 am

Okay, a lot of people may argue with me on this... but this is what I have to say given your current situation.

I have worked at hot topic for about 8 years now. Personally I have not had a problem with their metal, organic or the kaos ear skins. At the very least the staff at hot topic should be a bit more informative, friendly and helpful than Spencers but I'm sure it is different everywhere.

I like to go to other retailers and quiz them on their product. As far as mall retailers go, I feel Hot Topic and Spencers are prime spots for jewelry when compared to places like Claire's, Piercing Pagoda, head shops or any of those retarded kiosks you see in the mall.
It's not a revolution, it's a lifestyle.
Hardware

by stashapistachio » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:06 am

Oh they're definitely better than Claires!

You've really gotta know what you're looking at. But I don't think its so bad. Some of its overpriced crap that'll fall apart, some of its good.

You can find better quality (often for cheaper) online.
But ya know...

Don't wear stone or acrylic in fresh stretches. But its really up to you what jewellery you buy.

BAF accept money orders. (I think?)
And there are those pre-paid debit card things. So buying online is never NOT an option. Unless you don't have a postal service.
(I shipped stuff to my friends if I was hiding it from my mum, lol)
My debit card didn't work online for ages. So I just gave money to friends and used their card.
stashapistachio

by russell » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:10 pm

thanks for the advice. i thought stone was ok for new stretches..?
what do you guys think of just stretching one ear?
russell

by corazon_de_oro » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:42 pm

If you want good-quality jewelry without ordering online, try finding a good professional piercer in your area. My piercer carries tons of excellent-quality jewelry. Stone really isn't good for a fresh stretch but steel should be fine. Stuff from Hot Topic usually isn't THAT bad, it's just pretty overpriced for what it is IMO.
I'm Lindsay.
I have 1/2" lobes and 11 piercings: left helix x2, both conches, both nostrils, septum, navel, and VCH.
My lobes are small but I know a lot about stretching and how to do it safely, so message me if you have any questions!
corazon_de_oro

by stashapistachio » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:58 pm

No organics (stone, horn, bone, wood, etc), silicone or acrylic.
They're all porous, impossible to clean properly and generally a bad idea in healing skin.
Metal and glass are fine :)

I don't have a problem with one lobe stretched. I did it for a while, it sure was cheaper.
But I know someone with ONE 38mm ish lobe. Its looks daft that large to me.
Theres also another girl I keep seeing around like that, shes only got one cheek pierced too. One hangy is fine to me. But when one ear is twice the size of the other, it looks silly to me.

But thats just my opinion.
I've become a stickler for symmetry.

Oh yeah, my piercer orders me in jewellery. Wholesale prices <3 Even special things from places he doesn't usually buy from. He's super nice
I'd imagine most will charge a small fee. But it'll probably be te same as retail price at most.
Piercers don't really carry alot of large gauge stuff here, just cause everyone is different sizes, and you never know what size will or won't sell.
Mainly just initial jewellery from them.
stashapistachio

by Hardware » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:46 am

corazon_de_oro wrote:If you want good-quality jewelry without ordering online, try finding a good professional piercer in your area. My piercer carries tons of excellent-quality jewelry. Stone really isn't good for a fresh stretch but steel should be fine. Stuff from Hot Topic usually isn't THAT bad, it's just pretty overpriced for what it is IMO.

heehee, after buying wholesale for such a long time for my shop... EVERYTHING is over priced in comparison! :D
It's not a revolution, it's a lifestyle.
Hardware

Return to Ear Stretching Discussion