What is a good size to start taping instead of tapering?

Discuss all things ear stretching

by TheGreyEyedMonster » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:33 pm

Right now I'm at 4g (5.2 mm) and I have plans to go up to 00g (9.2 mm). So far I've been using tapers, the shitty kind from hot topic and spencers (i know, i know, but i don't have a credit card and these are the only places i can get them at. my ears are very healthy though!).

so my question is, what is generally a good size to use taping instead of tapering, is there a "proper" way to tape, what kinds of tape should i use/avoid (a girl in my math class used duct tape!!!! she fucked up her ears and she smelled like a dead animal :o). also, if someone could give a quick description or guide to taping it would be great.

i just really want to take great care of my ears! i plan on having these for a long time, and also strive to have cute "naked" ears too. i love the look of my ears naked, and i'm so glad i don't have catbutt or a blow out. i'm really trying to prevent that from happening and trying to keep my ears thick and happy and healthy.

... sorry i'm such a ramble-r
"We think caged birds sing, when indeed they cry out."

Have
10mm Lobes (to be 16mm)
(R)Helix
Want
(L)ear- Double Helix, Tragus, Rook, 2nd&3rd Lobes
(R)ear- 6g Helix Punch, Industrial, 2nd&3rd Lobes
Nape
Tongue Web
(R)Nostril
TheGreyEyedMonster

by corazon_de_oro » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:34 am

I'm at 2G; I mostly used tapers but then I dead-stretched to 2G. There's really no specific size at which you *should* start using tape unless you're stretching really big. If you're going to 00G it's a really good idea to stop at in-between sizes (like 1G or 7mm) and 9mm (some 00G plugs are 10mm so make sure the ones you get after 0G are 9). I never have found any 1G tapers so I'm planning on just dead-stretching with a rounded plug. But since you don't have any way of ordering online you probably won't be able to find any 1G jewelry and tape might be pretty beneficial. What I would do is start taping after 2G and stop in the middle for 6 weeks or so before you tape the rest of the way to 0G since it's a 2mm jump. And you could do the same thing to go to 00G. Unless you can find a 9mm taper; then you could just use that. Wow I feel like I really just rambled about that, haha.
The best kinds of tape to use are plumber's tape and bondage tape. Plumber's tape can be found at any home-improvement store and is only about a dollar. Bondage tape is found at sex shops and is thicker and more expensive. Basically just stay away from any tape that has an adhesive (which means no electrical tape, duct tape, etc.) And remember that you do have to wait 6+ weeks between sizes just like you would with tapering!
I'm Lindsay.
I have 1/2" lobes and 11 piercings: left helix x2, both conches, both nostrils, septum, navel, and VCH.
My lobes are small but I know a lot about stretching and how to do it safely, so message me if you have any questions!
corazon_de_oro

by TheGreyEyedMonster » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:02 pm

corazon_de_oro wrote:I'm at 2G; I mostly used tapers but then I dead-stretched to 2G. There's really no specific size at which you *should* start using tape unless you're stretching really big. If you're going to 00G it's a really good idea to stop at in-between sizes (like 1G or 7mm) and 9mm (some 00G plugs are 10mm so make sure the ones you get after 0G are 9). I never have found any 1G tapers so I'm planning on just dead-stretching with a rounded plug. But since you don't have any way of ordering online you probably won't be able to find any 1G jewelry and tape might be pretty beneficial. What I would do is start taping after 2G and stop in the middle for 6 weeks or so before you tape the rest of the way to 0G since it's a 2mm jump. And you could do the same thing to go to 00G. Unless you can find a 9mm taper; then you could just use that. Wow I feel like I really just rambled about that, haha.
The best kinds of tape to use are plumber's tape and bondage tape. Plumber's tape can be found at any home-improvement store and is only about a dollar. Bondage tape is found at sex shops and is thicker and more expensive. Basically just stay away from any tape that has an adhesive (which means no electrical tape, duct tape, etc.) And remember that you do have to wait 6+ weeks between sizes just like you would with tapering!

Thank you so much. I originally wanted to get to 0 before school started back but thankfully I beat my skull against a brick wall and realized I want healthy lobes more than anything else. I'm paranoid about catbutt and blowouts because of a scare (that turned out to be just a little bit of irritation). So I'm taking it nice and slow and will probably wait another month or so before sizing up again. I've been at 4g for maybe 3 weeks now and they feel great!

Back on point, would it be a good idea to just use a taper from 4g to 2g and then start using tape, or is taping helpful with that stretch? I tried to use tape on 6g to 4g but it was extremely difficult to put tape on it because it was small so I just bought a 4g taper (stop me if none of this makes sense, LOL).

I have no access to sex shops but i'll be on the lookout for plumbers tape. This may seem like a suuuuuuper dumb question, but how does it stick if its non-adhesive?

Have
10mm Lobes (to be 16mm)
(R)Helix
Want
Nape
Tongue Web
(R)Nostril
TheGreyEyedMonster

by corazon_de_oro » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:46 pm

I dead-stretched to 2G. It's kind of a big jump, though; some is 6mm and others are 6.5mm so you might be better off taping if you don't know what size yours are. I had 6mm so it wasn't too difficult of a stretch.
Plumber's tape sticks to itself when you wrap it around the plug. If you wrap it tightly it won't fall off or anything. You just have to use lots of oil/lube so it doesn't stick to your ears!
I'm Lindsay.
I have 1/2" lobes and 11 piercings: left helix x2, both conches, both nostrils, septum, navel, and VCH.
My lobes are small but I know a lot about stretching and how to do it safely, so message me if you have any questions!
corazon_de_oro

by TheGreyEyedMonster » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:14 am

Wow, thank you! I will definitely shop around and experiment with taping :)

Have
10mm Lobes (to be 16mm)
(R)Helix
Want
Nape
Tongue Web
(R)Nostril
TheGreyEyedMonster

by TOFU » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:38 am