spirals...

Discuss all things ear stretching

by lmg » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:25 am

From the beginning I've been stretching with spirals instead of the traditional long taper. I'm not sure if this is the wrong thing to do, but I've had no real problems with them...just a few weird things.

the first stretch I did was to a 12...after seeing this forum I know it was not the wisest...but hey, I survived. They were horn spirals. I chose spirals because I liked the look of them more then the regular tapers.

Since then I've learned that bone/horn isn't so fantastic to do it with because it's porous and bacteria blah blah....and was told somewhere along the line that it would start to heal into the tiny little holes and cause irritation (whether or not that's true, whatever)...which it did. made it a bit painful...both when healing and completely healed. So I switched to acrylic to try that...moved to steel after learning stretching with that is bad too! (I just can't win!)

Organic spirals hurt.
Acrylic spirals hurt.
Steel spirals hurt.

So the only thing I could think of was maybe the shape was doing something weird to the ear....Don't see how but I really can't think of anything else.

Has anyone else ever had constant irritation with spirals...regardless of material & regardless of whether your lobes were completely healed or still healing? Any ideas on what might be going on even?
3/4 lobes, left & right nostril, lots of tattoos.
lmg

by corazon_de_oro » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:42 am

Spirals can weigh your lobes down and the curved shape can put pressure on the front and back of your stretch. Wearing tapers should also be avoided because they get knocked too easily and they can also put pressure on your ears. That's why stretching tools shouldn't be worn as jewelry... the best thing to do is use a straight taper and put in a plug immediately. So basically just get one taper and a pair of plugs for every size; use the taper as a tool and wear the plugs.
I'm Lindsay.
I have 1/2" lobes and 11 piercings: left helix x2, both conches, both nostrils, septum, navel, and VCH.
My lobes are small but I know a lot about stretching and how to do it safely, so message me if you have any questions!
corazon_de_oro

by lmg » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:03 am

Are spirals strictly a stretching tool though? I can see why they might, it does totally make sense...just that there is so many super fancy looking ones....but then again I've seem some pretty elaborate tapers.

Thanks you for the reply! (:
3/4 lobes, left & right nostril, lots of tattoos.
lmg

by stashapistachio » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:12 am

Spirals aren't a stretching tool, the size increases oddly, and can cause thinning etc. Follow straight tapers straight through with no/single flare steel plugs.
Spirals are jewellery for healed stretches, and like most hangies its not the greatest idea to wear them overnight, you will inevitably bash them and wake up with sore ears, and they're kinda heavy.

I love my hangies.. I need to wear them more..
stashapistachio

Return to Ear Stretching Discussion